Let’s look at what might make your writing boring:
- Style: If your writing reads as “this happened and then this happened and then this happened”, if you’re not rewriting anything to improve it, or if you’re using redundancies, your style is the problem. There is a style tag on my tags page that can help you with this, but you can also look at the description tag.
- Plot: Sometimes the plot can be boring without the story being boring, but the characters need to be superb in those stories. If your story is not heavily character driven, your plot can’t be boring. Make sure there are risks. Let your characters lose every now and then. Make it interesting. The plot and plot development tags on the tags page can help with this.
- Too Much Detail: Unless it’s important, you don’t need to describe your characters making breakfast or getting dressed. It adds too much unnecessary detail. Ask someone to read over your writing. Have them highlight or underline everything they skip over or have them mark the places where they start to skip parts of writing. Get rid of those parts or rewrite them.
- Pacing: If you have slow pacing where slow pacing is not needed, the writing will come off as boring. Too much description and too slow of a transition from one idea or event to the next can slow down your pacing. For tips on this, check the tags page for the pacing tag.
- Long Paragraphs or Long Sentences: If most of your writing is a string of long sentences and long paragraphs, it can come off as boring. Add some variety in sentence length. Make sure paragraphs aren’t too long. People tend to get bored when a long paragraph is coming up.
- Too Formal: Creative writing does not have to exist within the rules of academic writing. You can start sentences with “because” and you can write a paragraph that is only one word long. Mix it up. Find your writing style.
- No Devices: Try using metaphors, similes, foreshadowing, allusion, symbolism, and other literary devices to deepen your writing.
- Glue Words: This ties in with style. Glue words are words that can be taken out of the sentence without losing meaning. They’re words like: on, out, up, through, after, before, in, but, the, etc. Instead of “He came into the room through the door.” you can say “He came into the room.”
- Character: It’s easier to write a boring story if you write in first person because the reader is then closer to this character. If a character has a boring voice, the story will be boring. Check the style and voice tag for help with this.
Guys, christ. I get wanting to tell her that circumgender can’t be a thing, but fucking hell you don’t need to FUCKING HARASS A THIRTEEN YEAR OLD INTO SELF HARM. Jesus. I just poked around on her tumblr and fucking people are telling her she FAKED SELF HARM? Fucking hell, leave the poor 13 year old alone. She clearly understands that she made a mistake and everyone needs to cool it and leave her be because shit got serious the second she started talking about cutting. Whether or not it’s fake, people shoulnd’t be continuing to harass her after that, because fuck that can really mess a person up.
As a self-harmer myself this one really hit home and just…fuck. I see her getting messages about ‘finish the job’ and shit and why are people so fucking awful.
tl;dr if you’re one of the people attacking the girl who decided to ‘reclaim’ circumgender (enbykitten) you need to fuck off and realize that what you’re doing is awful. she made a mistake. yeah, the circumgender thing was pretty bad and disrespectful, but IT’S PRETTY FUCKING CLEAR SHE LEARNED FROM IT so leave her alone thank you.
As a recovering self-harmer myself, I fully agree with dogeself. You never EVER keep pushing and harassing someone as soon as self-harm and suicide enters the picture! This disgusts me. Lay off the girl, alright? I was over 18 when I have been told to “shit or get off the pot” about my suicidal thoughts and cutting, and I couldn’t handle it. I was in my 20’s when my mom told me to just kill myself already, and I almost didn’t want to come home that night ever again. I can’t imagine what that would have been like as a teenager. I can’t imagine being told to kill myself when I was just 13. Remembering what was going on in my life around then, I probably would have gone through with it. And that makes me shiver.
- Mod Helga
(c) press charges, the POLICE refused to listen to his story and he can’t find a lawyer to support him. He has tried to get a restraining order, she threatened PUBLICLY to say he raped her and get him arrested so he can’t leave her. The fact that his abuse is going ignored AND she is threatening to fake a rape case is horrible. Not only because his abuse is being ignored, but because taking a rape makes it harder for REAL RAPE VICTIMS to get the support and help they need.